Airlines flying to Lynchburg – The only airline that flies to Lynchburg is American Airlines. Currently there are no international flights to Lynchburg. The only flights to Lynchburg are domestic flights within United States. To get to Lynchburg from another country you will need a flight with a stopover through Charlotte.
There is just one domestic flight to Lynchburg, which is between Lynchburg and Charlotte. From Charlotte, direct flights are offered by American Airlines (Oneworld). Flying to an alternative airport near Lynchburg could give you other options to reach your destination. For example, the possibility to fly with a different airline or alliance, or finding a cheaper airfare.
For this reason, alternative airports near to Lynchburg (LYH) are listed below. The closest alternative airports are Roanoke (ROA) and Staunton / Waynesboro (SHD).
Where do you fly into for Liberty University?
Frequently asked questions – Want to know about travelling to Liberty University, VA, USA? We have put together a list of the most frequently asked questions from our users such as: What is the cheapest mode of transport?, What is the quickest option?, How much do tickets usually cost? and many more.
- Will Coronavirus (COVID-19) affect my travel to Lynchburg? There is widespread community transmission globally.
- Some travel restrictions may still be in place within United States.
- For the latest travel status, please check the official page for United States.
- Learn More.
- What is the nearest airport to Liberty University? The nearest airport to Liberty University is Lynchburg (LYH) Airport which is 2.5 km away.
Other nearby airports include Roanoke (ROA) (69.9 km), Richmond (RIC) (164 km) and Raleigh/Durham (RDU) (167.5 km). More information How long does it take to get to Lynchburg from the Airport? It takes 15 min to get from Lynchburg to Lynchburg (LYH) Airport.
- More information How do I get to Lynchburg? We recommend flying to Lynchburg (LYH) Airport, which is 10.3 km away from Lynchburg.
- The line 4 bus from Lynchburg (LYH) to Lynchburg takes 15 min.
- More information Where can I stay near Liberty University? There are 50+ hotels available in Liberty University.
Prices start at €87 per night. More details
Is Lynchburg airport big?
Lynchburg Regional Airport – “Fly from here to there to anywhere” Business View Magazine interviews Lynchburg Regional Airport Director Andrew LaGala for our focus on General Aviation at U.S. Regional Airports Lynchburg, Virginia is both a beautiful and fascinating small city.
- Smack dab in the middle of the State, this vibrant community is steeped in history.
- Thomas Jefferson had his summer home there, it was a supply and transportation hub for the Confederates and a battle site during that war, and later became a manufacturing mecca.
- Step forward through many decades and Lynchburg is now recognized as an educational center with several universities calling the city home.
The largest – Liberty University – is in great company with the University of Lynchburg, Randolph College, Sweet Briar College, Virginia University of Lynchburg, and Central Virginia Community College. It has become a youthful and exciting city filled with opportunity, and the Lynchburg Regional Airport reflects that in so many ways.
- Lynchburg Regional Airport (LYH) is uniquely situated at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains,” says Airport Director Andrew LaGala.
- We are in west-central Virginia, a region that has a lot of outdoor activities and the airport is also nicely situated close to the heart of the city.
- It really combines the best of both worlds.
Lynchburg is home to a variety of companies, including large nuclear-service corporations – BWX Technologies and Framatome –along with the universities. It’s a small city that is known as a great place to live, work, and play.” The airport was established in 1931 and was originally known as Preston Glenn Airport, named in honor of Lt. Preston Glenn, a Lynchburg native who died in service as an Army Air Corps pilot during World War I. In 1992, the airport’s new terminal facility opened for business and the growth since then has continued unabated.
Today, flying into the airport is a visual treat all its own. As LaGala describes it, “First off, it is beautiful as you are surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mountains. But then you also notice that we are a large airport with two runways, the largest of which is our runway 4-22 coming in at 7,100 feet long by 150 feet wide.
That’s our main airline runway and is capable of handling most single-isle commercial aircraft in use today. Our other crosswind runway is 3,318 feet long and primarily serves general aviation aircraft.” LYH features both a modern airline terminal and a separate general aviation terminal to serve business and private aircraft.
- It is a robust airport with over 90,000 aircraft operations a year.
- LaGala boasts, “Not only is it a nicely situated airport, but we also offer all the facilities.
- We have an air traffic control tower that is staffed 18 hours a day and efficiently operated by Midwest ATC Service.
- We also have an Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting (ARFF) facility operated by Pro-Tec Fire Services Ltd., strictly dedicated to the airport with two fully capable response trucks.
There’s lots of parking, both short and long term, operated by Republic parking. We also have a full-service FBO in Freedom Aviation, that has a contract with the military and supports Liberty University’s School of Aeronautics flight training program.
On the commercial side, we have American Airlines offering dual cabin regional jet service to Charlotte, so our motto is “we fly you from here to there to anywhere” because once we get you to Charlotte you can go anywhere.” LaGala also reports that although there was some pandemic slowdown, they have made a great recovery and are seeing about 90% of their scheduled flights when compared to 2019, which was seven flights a day.
They are also at between 80% and 90% of average passenger loads and are working on adding new ─ perhaps northern and midwest ─ routes. Like most airports, hangars are in high demand. LYH has a good mix of T-hangars, conventional hangars, and corporate hangars, but there remains a waiting list and a market demand to build more. The airport is also about to start construction of a new, $5 million aircraft parking ramp to accommodate over 60,000 square feet of private and/or commercial hangar and office space. The project is scheduled to be completed in the early spring of 2022, and will feature the addition of 15,000 square yards of new concrete apron, hangar sites, public vehicle parking, and a new adjoining taxiway.
- This is the first phase of a planned development that hopes to see an additional 80,000 square feet in Phase 2.
- Once completed, it will accommodate a wide range of large aeronautical businesses and aircraft sizes.
- There are also private hangars leased by companies on the airfield, especially Bon Air Brokerage, which provides aircraft management, brokerage, sales, and storage.
Another interesting tenant is Liberty University – they offer an aeronautics flight training program that takes students who have never flown all the way to being certified as a commercial airline transport pilot. LYH is a busy and growing airport, which means a continuous stream of upkeep and redevelopment.
- As LaGala attests, “When you look at the work we have done in our terminal and for our tenants, it really is significant.
- We have recently upgraded all of our interior lighting in the commercial service part of the terminal with the newest LED lighting, and we’re getting ready to move on with construction to rehabilitate all six of the public restrooms – we’re going to go into full non-touch systems.
Next will be the design and construction of an automated exit lane at the passenger checkpoint. Another project we are hoping to begin involves looking for opportunities in the airline terminal vehicle parking facilities to go with new technology like mobile payments using your cell phone.
We are also exploring options to add EV stations to those facilities.” In addition, there has been significant, ongoing infrastructure work done at LYH, including the recently completed, $2.5 million midfield aircraft parking apron rehabilitation. LaGala notes, “The most interesting thing about that project is we were able to use the industry’s newest FAA-approved fuel-resistant asphalt, which is the latest and greatest technology when it comes airport pavement.
Actually, LYH was one of the first in the industry to use this new asphalt.” Finally, they will next be looking at a major rehabilitation of the airport’s primary runway, which is in the preliminary planning stages and is slated for construction in 2024.
I think if I could make a wish list for the next few years,” LaGala concludes, “the main thing I would like to add would be additional airline service and new destinations. I’m in discussions with our current airline now for additional destinations and with that, of course, there will be additional growth at the airport.
But it is all coming together nicely, and I do see a bright future ahead.” : Lynchburg Regional Airport – “Fly from here to there to anywhere”
Is Lynchburg VA a nice city?
5. Health and Wellness – Lynchburg has been ranked among the top 10 cities in the country for happiness and well-being ; Gallup-Heathways reported residents had lower rates of stress, depression and obesity. Lynchburg is home to two major hospitals, Central Lynchburg General Hospital and Centra Virginia Baptist Hospital, as well as the state-of-the-art Alan B.
Pearson Regional Cancer Center. Lynchburg is also situated between two renowned research hospitals at UVA and Duke University.6. Millennial Market Reviews.org ranked Lynchburg the #1 place for millennials to move to in 2019, noting great hiking, low unemployment, an artsy downtown and breweries. The city is home to 45% more millennials than the national average, with a median age of 28.
Millennials are also attracted to the lower cost of living and affordability of new homes — the average mortgage is $1,100. Liberty University graduates.7. Higher Education Lynchburg has been named among the top 10 college towns in the nation, alongside cities such as Cambridge, Massachusetts and Ann Arbor, Michigan. The Lynchburg area is home to six major colleges and universities, including Liberty University, University of Lynchburg, Randolph College, Virginia University-Lynchburg, Central Virginia Community College and Sweet Briar College.
Is Liberty University a respected University?
Liberty University 2023 Rankings Liberty University is ranked No.207-274 in Best Education Schools. Schools are ranked according to their performance across a set of widely accepted indicators of excellence.
Is Liberty University a legitimate University?
SACSCOC – Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges – Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, bachelor’s, master’s, specialist, and doctoral degrees.
Questions about the accreditation of Liberty University may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website ( www.sacscoc.org ).
Normal inquiries about the institution, such as admission requirements, financial aid, educational programs, etc., should be addressed directly to Liberty University. Accreditation ensures that Liberty University has met strict standards with regard to degree programs, faculty, administration, student support, and services. Schools participate in the accreditation process in order to gain third-party recognition that verifies the institution meets certain standards of academic and administrative quality and is committed to continual improvement. As an accredited institution, Liberty University is eligible to participate in federal education programs such as tuition assistance, government tuition reimbursement programs, the GI Bill®, and corporate tuition assistance.
How far is the Statue of Liberty from airport?
The distance between New York JFK Airport (JFK) and Statue of Liberty National Monument is 14 miles.
Is Lynchburg a city or town?
Lynchburg was incorporated as a town in 1805 and as a city in 1852.
Is Lynchburg Public or private?
Lynchburg is an above-average private, Christian university located in Lynchburg, Virginia. It is a small institution with an enrollment of 1,764 undergraduate students. The Lynchburg acceptance rate is 97%.
Is Lynchburg VA a good place to retire?
1. Lynchburg, Virginia –
Cost of living score : 82.9 Livability score : 82
Nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Lynchburg is a lovely place to retire for outdoors enthusiasts. The city has no shortage of parks and hiking trails, including the James River Heritage Trail, which cuts through the James River. Lynchburg has strong scores for both livability and cost of living, meaning you’ll have a high quality of life without spending a fortune.